Wednesday 24 December 2008

December 24th 2008

Out looking for owls down the Grandborough valley and rewarded with Barn Owl near Lodge farm on the A45 then two more at Sawbridge, and one still hunting at 0815am at Calcutt. Four from three sites was well worth the effort. Supporting birds included Little Owl at Sawbridge, Tawny Owl heard at Grandborough and Broadwell, Woodcock over Calcutt along with 5 Bullfinch and 2 Siskin. Napton Reservoir had 2 Kingfisher, Water Rail and female Goosander and Goldeneye amongst the 8 Gadwall, 10 Pochard while the entrance road had a Grey Wagtail and Lesser Redpoll with a Med Gull adult winter loafing around with a few Common Gull. Retracing my steps back to Broadwell there were 2 Ravens near Gibralter bridge and Great-spotted Woodpecker and Treecreeper in Millbank spinney. Along Flecknoe Rd there were 4 Buzzards, 100 Lapwing and a single Tree Sparrow but at Grandborough Fields there’s not much left of the sheep carcass and the smell may have been responsible for attracting a distant Red Kite seen briefly over the sky line towards Grandborough village. 2 Ravens present.
By the time I arrived at Draycote I had missed the gang so I hope Santa gives you what you all want? – I know what I would like to give you? – bless.
Another poor roost – I seem to have lost me touch or the goodies have gone to the north of the county, 2 Yellow-legged Gull adults the best I could find plus the 4 Great-northern Divers, Common Sandpiper, male Smew, Red-necked Grebe, Shag, Snipe and Pintail female.

Richard

No comments: