Sunday 27 December 2009

December 26th 2009

After a stunning meal at my sisters yesterday I had a desperate need of some exercise before going Dave’s so by first light I was watching both Barn Owl and Woodcock from rainbow corner Draycote Water. The owl was quartering rough hill before heading towards Birdingbury village while the timberdick flew over and appeared to land in “the lump” below draycote bank
The roost was slow to leave so managed 3 adult Yellow-legged Gull and a good count of 278 Greater Black-backed Gull before they dispersed while the 3 female Common Scoter, 2 Great-northern Diver and male Smew were all off draycote bank. At least 34 Goosander counted though some left to feed elsewhere and other sightings included 2 Great-spotted Woodpecker, 4 Green Woodpecker, 7 Lesser Redpoll, 12 Snipe, 15 Siskin, Kingfisher. Best views go to a Peregrine perched on the valve tower.
No sign of the Brambling in my garden late morning but Redwing, Coal Tit and over wintering male Blackcap appeared while the overnight mild temperatures produced a Winter Moth in my trap.
Rest of day spent trying to stop myself from starving to death and playing the dreaded Wii getting my butt kicked at Tennis, Golf, Archery, and Boxing.

Richard

No comments: