Tuesday 11 May 2010

May 11th 2010

Another cold but bright and sunny morning spent at Draycote Water with Bob and Mark and though there had been little change since our last visit we managed 3 Artic Tern, 2 male Shoveler in biggen bay, Muntjac Deer female resting by the scrape and I scared me self witless when I found a swift with a white rump but soon calmed down when it was obvious that it was a Common Swift with aberrant plumage. We split with the young ones continuing on to do a circuit while I ambled back to the visitor’s centre and despite extensive I searching could not find the Great-northern Divers though I did get a flight view of the male Garganey coming out of toft bay and at least 8 Buzzard.
On arrival at the VC the staff were posting the closure date for the centre which is the 27th June 2010 and “always look on the bright side of life” sounds a bit feeble when people are losing there jobs so despite the weather turning cloudy I made a quick exit and went looking for butterflies.
A search of the country park not surprisingly produced a nil count but managed yesterdays Spotted Flycatcher then moved on to the sailing car park where I eventually located 3 Grizzled Skippers and 2 Small Copper’s plus a couple of Wood Mouse. Also seen were Garden Warbler, 3 Whitethroat and 2 Blackcap.

Just a reminder that I have a walk this thursday at 11am - should be sunny and a little warmer than of late.

Richard