Friday 9 July 2010

July 9th 2010

Bob texted and Fracoise rang to say there was a Little Egret at the pond this morning but I’m up to my armpits in moths at the moment so I gave them a miss till I meet up with Dave later today. Between us Dave and I have caught over 2000 moths this week of 145 species all due to the ideal conditions we are experiencing at the moment and though I’m on top of the macro moths the smaller ones are taking much longer to get my head round um. Luckily Bob has been doing sterling stuff with his camera. Dave is having a cracking year adding 21 to his list while I added 11 so the friendly rivalry between us has intensified as we try to be the first to reach 450.

Buff Footman

Common Lutestring

Green Sandpiper and Hobby were Brandon Marsh in the afternoon when Dave and I went to check out the location for the night’s mothing session and later in the evening while setting up my traps there were 3 Muntjac Deer near the new hare covet.
Joined by Andy we went looking for Bats and saw Noctule and Daubenton’s Bat while Soprano Pipistrelle and one unidentified were picked up on the bat detector.

Richard