Monday 7 November 2011

November 7th 2011

I getting ready to go out with Bob and put me gear outside the back door when I felt rain drops and instinctively looked up at the sky.
In the murky conditions I saw a would be cormorant heading towards me but soon realised the narrower faster wing beats and drooped head was no Cormorant and as it passed over I was watching a Great-northern Diver flying over the house no more than 200 feet above the ground. Gob smacked and though the conditions were awful today that was one bird I wouldn’t have dreamed of writing down next to 2 Robin and a Coal Tit.
Unfortunately when we arrived at the pond viability was poor but we perceived and found 5 Dark-bellied Brent Geese (3adults and 2 juveniles) in the field behind farborough spit but despite only being 200 yards away it was so dark Bob did well to get this record shot.



Bob continued with Keith on his circuit finding female Pintail and a pair of Red-crested Pochard as I doubled back to inlet where there was a Kittiwake adult in rainbow corner and 13 Dunlin off hensborough bank. Other sightings included 4 female and one male Goosander, 2 Raven, 2 Tree Sparrow and a Kingfisher.

Dave's 5th record of Dotted Chestnut while I have never trapped one.

Richard

No comments: