Sunday 8 March 2009

March 8th 2009

I dosed up with pain killers and managed to get out today before I went mad – and many thanks for all the messages of concern, admittedly most were for Trog but they were appreciated. She's Ok and raring to go once I can get me leg over the crossbar.
We went looking for the Stonechat and Barn Owl opposite Draycote Water but had no luck, just a few Fieldfare then we tried for the Black Redstart that’s been reported in the Flecknoe area and again another failure tho the 110 Golden Plover huddled together close to the Flecknoe Station Road were worth looking at.
The same area had many Fieldfare and Redwing and more were seen at Grandborough Fields Farm showing thay are are gathering together for the push north soon and we were sharp enough to spot a first winter Iceland Gull in flight as it flew over among a group of mixed gulls heading east.
Draycote Water was windy and only managed one Great-northern Diver circling the reservoir and 3 Goosander but no sign of Red-necked Grebe or Smew from farborough bank or toft bay before the arrival of the sponsored chaos brigade hurried a quick departure as they destroyed any hope of tranquility. How can running/walking be so bloody noisy.
Lawford Heath had 30 Fieldfare and by the time we arrived at Brandon Marsh the painkillers were waring off and I was feeling yuk. Met up with Mark Phillips and his family in the east marsh hide who kindly offered there seat but I needed more space to get me leg over and the hide was full of visiting birders so moved on to carlton hide where a Green Sandpiper flew in. Only other birds seen were 2 Shelduck, 12 Snipe, Nuthatch and 4 Buzzard before I called it a day.
Well I have stiffened up badley but at least mentaly I can cope with day time tv for another 24hrs.

Richard

1 comment:

Max Silverman said...

Good to see you are back Richard.