Friday 14 January 2011

January 14th 2011

4 Waxwing were seen in trees along Lower Hillmorton Road, Rugby near the junction with Portland Road as my mums funeral cortege passed. Not supposed to be a birding trip to the crematorium but could not help notice the very large flocks of Fieldfare (over 500) at Eathorpe and Ashborne.
After the wake in Dunchurch Dave and I had time to trawl around the Grandborough valley which was very quiet until we reached Grandborough Fields Farm where over 1000 Fieldfare and 500 Starling were feeding in the water logged fields plus a single Buzzard and Raven. I had not appreciated just how heavy the rain had been in the last 48hrs with many streams overflowing with large lakes forming on many fields.
The last two nights have been very mild resulting in 6 Winter Moths on Wednesday night and 3 Winter Moths and 2 Dark Chestnut in my trap last night while Dave had Mottled Umber, 2 Dark Chestnut and single Winter Moth last night.
Yesterday I caught up with Bob who has also been ill so we hope to be out and about next week bashing the pond while this weekend will see me play catch up on my patch year list which is looking somewhat feeble at the moment weather permitting.

Richard

No comments: