Sunday 30 November 2008

November 29th 2008

Well the 20 Eider, 2 White-billed Divers and Lesser White-fronted Goose could have been at Draycote Water this morning but with visibility down to 20 yards one will never find out. The thought of spending money on others woke me up early so knowing it was pointless looking at reservoir I decided to get the steed out and check out toft shallows despite the freezing temperatures – much better than moping at home. A Kingfisher perched on the footbridge as I arrived soon disappeared along with the Fox that came within feet of me before it saw me. A careful approach along the path produced the hope for Brambling with male and female feeding quietly in the leaf litter and occasionally coming out in to the open to drink with a few Chaffinches giving excellent views. Also present were very large numbers of Siskin and though counting was difficult as they moved through I managed a very respectable 89 along with 4 Lesser Redpoll. No Long-tailed Tits in shallows but 24 were crossing half way lane as I left.
John Judge and I had agreed to keep an eye on the weather in case it lifted in time to do the roost but the fog hardly lifted so knocked that idea on the head.

Richard

No comments: