Monday 3 November 2008

November 3rd 2008

Overcast with a light north north east wind this morning and not very motivated when I went out to check the moth trap just after eight. Had removed the top and about to check the egg boxes when I heard a Firecrest call and the bird was located in my neighbours Holly tree and watched down to six feet before it flew in to an apple tree two doors down – garden tick (well I was in the garden). Hung around the kitchen in case it returned but apart from 120 Fieldfare and 40 Redwing going east I never saw it again and as Sainsbury’s beckoned I could not afford the time searching for it.
Out this afternoon to Draycote Water with the wind much stronger searching for yesterdays Red-necked Grebes and one was off farborough bank 300 yards from the café and reasonably close – well that’s until you look through the my view finder. First winter Shag was still present and a nice party of one male and seven female Common Scoter were 500 yards off draycote bank. All though it was a grotty evening with poor light I decided to stay for the roost and managed another view of the Kumliens Gull adult and it looked spot on but would like better conditions to be 100% certain. Also seen were 3 Med Gulls with 2 adults and a first winter along with 2 Yellow-legged Gull adults.
While watching the roost a Great-northern Diver adult still in partial summer plumage appeared in the middle of it – but it seems to be one of those buggers that like to swim miles under water and never appeared in the same place twice so no wonder I hadn’t spotted it earlier. Also present were Little Owl, Shoveler 3 female, Goldeneye 4 including adult male, Wigeon 19, Redwing 100, Fieldfare 40 and Raven 3.
Two other highlights for the day were 2 Sprawler on the window of the café and a Common Pipistrelle Bat near the hide as I was leaving.

Richard

No comments: