Wednesday 14 January 2009

January 14th 2008

It’s a rare event to see birders in the valley so two car loads seeking Waxwing must be down to this blog or Draycote being fog bound so I hope you scored – I know I did. In fact I more than scored – I had a hat trick? – First when 16 Waxwing flew from a hedge between Grandborough Fields Road and Grandborough Fields Farm on a footpath that runs from near Grandborough Fields Farm to Grandborough, second when a distant blob on top of a tree near the Railway Cottages turned in to one and finally four at Sawbridge commuting between the back gardens and dodging the interest of the local Sparrowhawk. Sounds good but had to work hard for them in the fog and the cold freezing conditions. Twenty one in valley is more than impressive. Other birds seen included 3 Siskin, 13 Skylark, 15 Golden Plover, Grey Wagtail, 2 Red-legged Partridge and 2 Buzzard.
By the time I got to Draycote Water just after 1pm the fog was finally burning off and that’s when I cocked up big time. I somehow convinced myself that a Pink–footed Goose was a Bean Goose and started getting locals out to see it even though the chances of it being a genuine winter visitor were slim. Unfortunatley some dork put it out nationaly so I bet my name is mud - well thats the last time I tell anyone. It had pink legs so how the hell did I go down the wrong identification path. Luckily Bob put me right and has given me a thousand lines and the donkey outfit to wear.
Rest of the visit was spent in sheepish mode so got some brownie points back when I found the first winter Iceland Gull in the roost before the fog came back. The Red-necked Grebe, male Smew and 2 Shag were off farborough bank, 3 Great-northern Diver out in centre and 15 Siskin in toft shallows but no sign of Red-throated Diver ( some have claimed it alive today and others say its dead - well at least mine was breathing). Also present were 4 Golden Plover and 12 Goosander.

Richard

No comments: