Friday 20 February 2009

February 20th 2009

Last night started off mild and accounted for the Oak Beauty that was in my trap but unfortunately the temperature dropped by midnight and I woke to fog so pointless going out this morning which gave me chance to play catch up with some of my news:-

Bob Hazells photo of the falcon hybrid has enabled John Judge to do some investigation and he has managed to track down to its owner as well as its parentage, Gry/Saker x Peregrine Born 13/4/05 and lost at Bubernhall in 2007 and Graham Rowling reports that he saw it at Brandon Marsh on 25th January 2009 so its getting around.

Bob Hazell sent me this photo of the Red-necked Grebe taken yesterday and in comparison to the one on my blog taken 6th January by Dave Hutton shows the plumage changes its going through, especially the bill, neck and flanks. Now all we have to hope for that it to stay a couple of more weeks then the Kodak fiddlers will have a ball.

Red-necked Grebe by Bob Hazell

It was pub night last night and the first opportunity for the Gambian gang to meet up since we got back. Video evidence shows the Klass’s Cuckoo was in fact miss-identified and is a Didric Cuckoo, still a tick for everyone except me- all ready got one but on the plus side a Short-toed Eagle photographed could be a Beaudouin's Snake Eagle so a potential tick for me. Don’t you just love photography – it’s some of the dick heads behind the lens that do my head in.

I met up with Dave and Bob at Draycote Water this afternoon for coffee and cake then a walk along farborough bank looking at the Red-necked Grebe and Great-northern Diver and a chat with Pate Hall. Quick drive round the valley produced very little and looks as if there has been a big exodus. Three Buzzards including the very pale bird mentioned in previous bogs perched and a Sparrowhawk.

Dotted Border by Bob Hazell

Richard

No comments: