Tuesday 26 May 2009

May 26th 2009

The overcast humid conditions with rain were ideal for moths with both me and Dave recording very large catches. Lost count of how many I added to the garden year list. Once I surfaced this morning the weather had completely changed becoming cloudy with bright sunny periods, very windy and a lot cooler than yesterday with Draycote Water recording gusts of over 30mph so waited for it to subside before going down the valley. While I waited Bob came round to photograph some of my moths and we had Hobby and 9 Painted Lady over the garden.

Willow Beauty

Sycamore

Oak Hook-tip

Limee Hawk-moth
The valley was still windy but thanks to the owners for allowing me on to there land I managed to hear the Quail calling along the Flecknoe Road which I couldn’t do from the road. Also in the area were Whitethroat plus 10 Painted Lady all heading roughly north west.
Draycote Water was still very blustery with 2 Common Tern, Ringed Plover and Spotted Flycatcher and guess what – yep – Painted Lady with 6 seen.

Richard

2 comments:

Nick the grief said...

Limee Hawk moth ... is that an english moth in Aussie 8-) Shouldn't really complain my blogs are full of mistakes, it just tickled me with the forthcoming Ashes !

I really must christen my Moth trap ...

Richard Mays said...

Nick - I'm saving pommie hawk-moth for when we beaten them