Friday 29 May 2009

May 29th 2009

Dave and I were enjoying a stroll round Draycote Meadows soaking up the glorious sunshine when a message from Terry regarding a Woodchat Shrike at Brandon Marsh smashed any ideas of tranquility. Despite Friday traffic Dave had us at Brandon in record time and after a brisk walk to the Carlton Hide (nearest I get to running) we were rewarded with distant but countable views. Many thanks Tel that’s two pints of Archers we owe you. My first record for Warwickshire though I saw one in 1999 in Sutton Park West Midlands which used to be in Warwickshire before they played around with the county boundaries. Other sightings from Carlton were 4 species of dragonfly and a Grass Snake then we moved to look from the bench over newlands for a better view.
This morning there were 2 Quail in the valley and before we left Draycote Meadows we managed 30+ Grass Rivulet a day flying moth and this evening a Hedgehog sunbathed under my Kilmarnock Willow. The garden moth trap had Double Square Spot and May Highflyer new for the year
The Painted Lady invasion has made the news channels and still passing through in good numbers with Mark recording 23 in 15 minutes in his garden and I must have seen at least 200 today on my travels.

Richard

No comments: