Tuesday 23 March 2010

March 23rd 2010

I spent last night updating the moth records for a yahoo group I co run and so far 12 trappers have recorded 36 species in the county although personally I have only caught 13 despite having me light on every night so I have some catching up to do
Arranged to go out with Bob and April for a wander around the pond and on the way I told them my gall stones were predicting a cracker (strange looks from April) and with in minutes of arriving it was my turn to have my name put up in lights when I found a Great Skua sitting out in the centre of the reservoir resting and occasionally stretching its wings which soon had the eye balls of Bob and April (now staring at me strangely) out of their sockets. This is a very uncommon bird inland in autumn and virtually unheard of in spring in Warwickshire and only the second spring bird for Draycote I have ever had. The Skua was distant most of its time at the pond though good scope views could be had when it landed off farborough spit and in flight and John Coleman reported it flying off north at 14:45pm but a few managed some record shots which they have kindly sent me.

Great Skua by Max Silverman


Great Skua by Andy Hale



Great Skua by Dave Hutton
After a few high fives and numerous phone calls we managed to see 26 Sand Martin, 18 Meadow Pipit, 3 male Shoveler, 2 Great-northern Divers and a fly over calling Ringed Plover before Bob and April continued on there walk while I hung back. As the first admires arrived a Swallow flew over followed by 5 Skylark and a summer plumage Grey Plover before Bob got his own back by relocating Sunday’s grays barn Firecrest by the culvert in biggen bay. That soon had a few reaching for extra oxygen to walk the extra miles to see it. Also present were 10 Goldeneye, 5 Buzzard, 8 Gadwall, 47 Fieldfare, 10 Redwing and I missed 2 Raven, Wheatear, Chiffchaff and Sparrowhawk After our good fortune we dined at the Long Itchington Diner then strolled around Napton on the Hill where we had 2 Chiffchaff, Coal Tit, Goldcrest, Raven, 100 Fieldfare and 20 Redwing.
Paul and Jenny Heath wanted to see the Firecrest so went back out late afternoon via Cycle Route 41 and the bird was still present but mobile. As we walked back towards the valve tower 2 Avocets were flying around the reservoir at 18:10 brought down by the low cloud and rain looking for somewhere to land. What a way to end a magical day and o it’s so good to see birds coming through after such a lean spell.

Richard

No comments: