Monday 9 May 2011

May 7th 2011

Despite the cost by public transport to Portland Bill, Dorset being almost prohibitive due my last minute decision to go and then spending half my time looking for my phone and camera it was a very productive day. I had stupidly put them down while sheltering from the elements and couldn’t remember under which rock, eventually found them in need of a hair dryer.
I was hoping for a fall of migrants but the observatory record of Britain’s 5th record of Patton’s Tiger moth was something you just dream about while the male Red-backed Shrike opposite the observatory seemed to be the only obvious new arrival and the Bee-eater was yesterday's bird which reappeared briefly. The sea produced 2 hoped for Pomarine Skua plus 2 Great Skua, and Balearic Shearwater amongst the normal fare.
I arrived home late to the moth trap just as it was starting to look good but that soon changed when the heavy rain started and it was a mad rush looking for umbrellas to give them as much shelter as possible, White-spotted Pug, Common Marbled Carpet and Sallow Kitten added to the year list

Common Swift

Chocolate-tip

Buff Ermine
all by Bob Hazell

Richard

No comments: