Saturday 24 May 2008

May 24th 2008

While mothing out side me patch last night I managed a roding Woodcock, brief views of a Tawny Owl flying across one of the rides and a Barn Owl on the way home flying across the A45 between the Stretton upon Dunsmore roundabout and the Princethorpe flyover. An hours kip, quick check on my own trap and breakfast then it was back out to Draycote Water where the very strong north east winds brought had down 200+ Swift to feed low over toft bay but I could only find one of yesterdays 15 Common Terns before finding an adult Little Tern off the sailing club just after 1015am but it only stayed a few minutes. Other birds of note were Hobby over main entrance, Buzzard, a few more Lesser Black-backs Gulls going through and Great-spotted Woodpecker. Met with Pete & Linda Price in cafe for coffee and they had seen two Hobbies earlier together over draycote bank. On leaving just after 1 o'clock a Grey Plover came in over toft bay calling as it flew past me close. A very smart bird in full breeding plumage heading towards rainbow. Heard Sedge, Reed, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, and Whitethroat but the wind and vegetation made viewing difficult so did not see many.
Back home late afternoon I had two Magpies, Wood pigeon 6 and Collard Dove in the garden. Weather looks crap tomorrow and Monday so yippee me and Dave will get soaked.

Richard

No comments: