Friday 13 June 2008

June 13th 2008

Friday the 13th - unlucky if you were thinking of going to Stockton Cutting and didn't. Spurred on by Dave's photos of Bee Orchid I visited this Warwickshire Wildlife Nature Reserve and while searching the overgrown quarry yard at the far end of the reserve i accidentally "kicked" a Nightjar off the ground, had no idea it was there and not sure who was more surprised me or the "jar" as it flew off to a nearby tree where it settle but was exposed to harassment by corvids and moved on and not seen again. A totally unxpected sighting.
Nightjar's are rare in Warwickshire so I am lucky in this being my third with one seen in mid eighties after the first in 76 and my first for the valley. News of its where abouts delayed in case it was a breeding bird tho not the right habitat but a check at night time and early Saturday morning revealed no sightings or calls. Spotted Flycatcher, Whitethroat, Blackcap and Green Woodpecker seen plus day flying moths Lattice Heath and Yellow Shell as well as Large Skipper, Common Blue and Green-veined White butterfly's. Coming home I checked Cock Robin Plantation but the place stinks of dog shitters so after seeing Blue-tailed Damselfly I cleared off quickly. Only Buzzard seen at Draycote Water this afternoon.

Richard

No comments: