Thursday 24 September 2009

September 24th 2009

Arrived at pond just after first light and visibility was down to 20 meters and it took over two and half hours for the fog to burn off.
I did a slow search up to the valve tower and back but there was no sign of the Pec or Greenshank but there were 4 Dunlin in toft bay, 2 Sanderling attempting to land among the fishermen on the outlet which also had a Dunlin and 2 juv Ringed Plover. The star wader was a partial summer plumage Black-tailed Godwit on the inlet.
The west side of reservoir produced 7 Raven and 14 Buzzard with another three from the country park. Summer visitors were few with only a single Swallow, 4 House Martin, 10 Yellow Wagtail and juv Wheatear while a Siskin over the country park was the first of the autumn/winter migrants.
Also around were adult Yellow-legged Gull on J buoy, 9 Grey Wagtail, Great-spotted Woodpecker, 12 Long-tailed Tit, 6 Bullfinch, Jay and 3 Kingfisher. I managed at long last to catch up with John Harris for a chat and spent a bit of time with Kevin, Bob and Francoise. A single Comma and 3 Migrant Hawker noted in the country park.

Of Interest to me:
My previous longest staying Pec was 5 days so 12 was impressive.
Today’s Raven count is my highest count for the pond.
For the first time in 32 years I have failed to see a Turtle Dove at the pond.
Although heard in the distance I failed to see Cuckoo at pond for the first time since 1977.
I still need Bewick’s Swan and Red-breasted Merganser for the pond/patch year list so keep an eye out for me.

Richard

2 comments:

John Judge said...

February------the snow must have got to you! Red-breasted Merganser on the 8th and Bewick's Swan on the 12th

Richard Mays said...

Cheers John - couldn't find me record. O the list is climbing

Richard