Friday 4 September 2009

September 4th 2009

Its quiet funny really – I saw thousands of Manx Shearwaters yesterday but as soon as the phone rang to say one was at the pond I turned in to jelly. Couldn’t get there straight away so had to wait till I met up with Dave in the afternoon and luckily it was still performing off farborough bank being tracked diligently by Steve Valentine, Bob Duckhouse, Dave Hutton and Rich Dawkins who managed some good shots considering the wind was averaging well over 25mph with gusts exceeding 36mph.
This was a Warwickshire and Draycote tick for Dave so he is all smiles and for me it’s my 12th record for the pond involving 13 birds with the last on 30th August 2007 and my 3rd record to fall on 4th September. None have stayed overnight but till this wind drops off who’s not say another one can’t turn up. It’s also looking good for skua and phalaropes tomorrow so see you there.
Missed the Osprey that went through at 12:30pm but we managed 4 Swift, juvenile Hobby and Yellow Wagtail while Black tern and Goosander still being reported.


Manx Shearwater by Steve Valentine



Manx Shearwater by Dave Hutton

Richard

No comments: