Saturday 24 April 2010

April 24th 2010

Dave trapped a Double-striped Pug, Chocolate Tip and a micro for me to i.d. last night which I think could be either Acleris ferrugana or Acleris notana but both are highly variable and are best separated by examination of the genitalia which I am not in to.

Double Striped Pug

Acleris sp


Chocolate-tip
All photos by Bob Hazell

Terry Southgate has kindly sent me a few photos from our Israel trip which I will post under April 15th – 21st posting later though I haven’t found the time to start my report yet.

Three Buzzards flew over my garden this morning while trying to get it back under control plus a Holly Blue was out enjoying the spring sunshine so it was not till mid afternoon when Bob had mastered his garden that we visited the pond with April to see the party of Little Gulls and a Black Tern that had arrived overnight.
We managed to see 4 adult summer and one first summer Little Gull from farborough bank plus at least 6 Common Tern and single Artic and Black Tern. Other observers had at least 15 Little Gulls.
The possible female Blue-headed Wagtail was seen only briefly with a few Yellow Wagtails but no sign of the male although it had been reported as still present and by the time we walked around to hensborough bank the Garganey male had disappeared a couple of minutes earlier.
The last two days of sunshine has brought the Butterfly’s out with 4 Brimstone, Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock seen at the pond yesterday while today’s visit added Orange Tip and Small White to my year list.

Patch News -A Red Kite was reported over the Rokeby Estate in Rugby by Marks sister at 5pm.

Richard

No comments: