Saturday 3 April 2010

April 3rd 2010

Don’t even talk to me – one massive strop on.
I biked 16 miles to watch a steam engine in full flow only to miss it thanks to a plonker of a lorry driver trying to find the M42. Due to language differences (he was from Mars) it took longer than I hoped it would resulting in only hearing its distant whistle and a wisps of smoke drifting off in to the ether.
With me now belching fire and brimstone at anything that moved or spoke, gave Wormleighton Reservoir a look and even my first Common Tern of the year only partially lifted my gloom. Plenty of birds around with 4 Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, 5 Sand Martin and a lone Swallow representing summer while 2 Fieldfare in the lane reminded me winter has not quite left us just yet, also Corn Bunting, Marsh Tit, 5 Buzzard, 5 Bullfinch, Treecreeper, Raven and 4 Tree Sparrow in the area.
I made a steady journey back via Shuckburgh Hills and Napton Reservoir but by the time I reached Draycote Water it was raining and my bum was numb so didn’t bother with the place.
Plenty of roadside Chiffchaffs and Buzzard but not a lot for the hour on Shuckburgh with 5 Buzzard, 3 Raven, Great-spotted Woodpecker and a male Wheatear noted. Napton Reservoir was a lot more productive with a Little Egret a welcome surprise as it flew over appearing to go down out of sight so hopefully still in the area, good views of a Cetties Warbler, 3 Chichaff, 2 Sparrowhawk, Raven, female Gadwall, Kingfisher and Yellow Wagtail
Cym texted to say she had a Red Kite over Southam this morning.
Mothing has been quiet recently with very few species out flying in mine or Dave’s garden but the Oak-tree Pug he had on Friday is worth a mention. I will contact Bob for photos when I’m more sociable. I need my bed.

Richard

No comments: