Tuesday 22 March 2011

March 22nd 2011

I woke to good numbers in the trap again although the species count was down with Double-striped Pug new for year and my earliest record. The garden year list stands at 20 but I wish I could have one of these beauties that Brian trapped in his Dunchurch garden and brought round early this evening for confirmation. Bob managed a record shot in fading light using flash.

Dotted Chestnut, Dunchurch

On the birding front Draycote Water was far too busy with walkers etc so gave it a miss and checked on Napton Reservoir managing Green Sandpiper on the small reservoir, 2 Cetties Warbler, 6 Reed Bunting, Chiffchaff, 2 Raven, Sparrowhawk and 4 Buzzard while Napton on the Hill had female Brambling, 12 Redwing, 3 Chiffchaff, 2 Great-spotted Woodpecker, 4 Goldcrest, 5 Mistle Thrush and Little Owl.
Cawston Waxwings still grace the estate with up to 70+ seen today.

Richard

2 comments:

Hornet said...

For some of us there's nearly always too many walkers at Draycote - you're right that Napton's an all together more peaceful proposition! Nice haul as well, ages since I've seen either sandpiper there - and I've long wanted a brambling from the hill. Remind me to ask next time I see you where these little owls keep hiding!

Richard Mays said...

You should have seen um today - zillions - not good for my health - couple more degrees and they will be round in bra and pants and thats just the men

Richard