Wednesday 11 January 2012

January 11th 2012

I was doing a good impression of billy no mates on farborough spit totally pissed off that the place was dead and why do I bother when suddenly a male and female Smew flew past.
A quick heads up call to Bob who was on the north side and he returned the call 20 minutes later to say they were off draycote bank so Keith and I decided to leg it to hensborough bank for better views and found another male nearer the valve tower.

Smew male by Bob Hazel

While Keith continued to join Bob I stayed in the picnic area managing to locate the Red-breasted Merganser female, watch my second Peregrine of the day attack the many gulls that were present and have a female Merlin fly past close while finishing off the last of my Christmas cake. So a crap day turned in to paradise. Other sightings included adult Yellow-legged Gull, 10 Meadow Pipits, 50 Goldeneye, 60+ Wigeon, 130+ Teal, 8 Gadwall and 30 Pochard although other duck species such as Mallard and Tufted Duck have left in droves.

Richard

No comments: