Monday 16 January 2012

January 16th 2012

Failed to see the space shed go over this morning just before we went to the pond and the cold weather has affected duck numbers with increase in Wigeon (150), Teal (150), Pochard (41), Goldeneye (50+), Shoveler (6) and Gadwall (16) but Goosander numbers have plummeted with only 4 present. Seems to be some confusion whether the Red-breasted Merganser is present but as far as I am concerned it’s gone. The male Smew is still around but mobile being seen off draycote bank, farborough spit and hensborough bank today. Only other birds of note were 37 Golden Plover in two separate flocks both heading south, 5 Lesser Redpoll and 12 Siskin in toft shallows, 24 Greylag, Sparrowhawk, 18 Long-tailed Tit and 40 Linnet.

Redwing by Bob Hazell


The space shed is still going round and round and round and round and round and ....


Can you tell what is yet - if so your doing better than me - Iv no idea how it will end up - thats the fun of it.

I had to break a life long promise never to go back to my old school but as they were holding a BBC Stargazing Live Showcase I had to eat humble pie – well at least my promise lasted 45 years though soon as I walked through the doors memories of some of my dastardly deeds and punishment came flooding back.
There was a very good turn out with various talks and workshops as well as many telescopes available to look through but the star of the show was the sky it self. Mark and I were like kids in a sweetshop especially as we added M36 and 37 to our Messier List. I was also thrilled to get my best views of Andromeda and through someone’s telescope Jupiter’s band were incredible and Orion’s Nebula awesome. Listen up family – I know what I want for my 60th birthday so start saving. We also had a meteorite and 2 satellites.

Richard

No comments: