Saturday 18 April 2009

April 18th 2009

It was still cloudy but a lot brighter than of late with a cold north easterly wind gusting over 20mph as I plodded my way round the pond with the sun eventually burning off the cloud by mid-day. No sign of any terns at 6:30am but more Little Gulls had come in overnight with an impressive count of 50 with at least 18 still present 11am. Numbers were made up of 33 adults and 8 first summers feeding over reservoir while 9 more adults were soaring overhead and left to the north west. This is my second largest count with 72 in April 2005 the highest. Unfortunately little else was seen in the morning in the way of migrants apart from 4 Yellow Wagtail and 14 Shelduck which is a very good count.
I chatted to a chap from Worcestershire who put me on to a calling Nuthatch - many many thanks – it took me a bit of time to track it down. They are very uncommon at the pond and my last record was in 2005 and I have only recorded it in 7 of the 34 years I have been doing the place. Hope your team one. Hung around till 2pm seeing my first Garden Warbler of the year and only other birds of note were Great-northern Diver, 8 Buzzard, 2 Teal, 55 Great-crested Grebe and 4 Gadwall though of interest to me was the Mute Swan numbers which are increasing with 22 plus a pair breeding. Since the late 1980s we have had a few Mute Swans summering here, 112 is the highest count although numbers are much smaller these days due to higher water level and disturbance from visitors.
Animals seen were Hare, Fox and Weasel.
Butterflies were 4 Green-veined White, Small White, 2 Brimstone and 2 Peacock
Garden late afternoon had Swallow, House Martin and Sparrowhawk over.
On the down side I lost me camera somewhere around the pond. Must have put it down to be nice to someone!!!. I only realised after the visitors centre was closed and an evening search was fruitless - even the Hen Harrier showing again this evening could not stop me from beating myself up. Shame, caught a cracking Lesser Swallow Prominent last night.

Richard

No comments: