Wednesday 1 April 2009

April 1st 2009

Another good mothing night and once the gear was stored away I enjoyed the tranquility before the first birders and fishermen arrived. Male Wheatear and White Wagtail were on farborough bank with the Red-necked Grebe off farborough spit and the 4 Great-northern Divers were all together off the inlet. The Green-winged Teal male was still in toft shallows for its third day along with 4 Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Sparrowhawk, 4 Reed Bunting, Lesser Redpoll and male Shoveler.
Back home and my own moth trap had done well with 11 moths of 7 species including my first Early Tooth Stripe of the year.
With the clear skies becoming cloudy by mid-day from the east it was not too surprising I put my plans to do some domestics on the back burner with Bob Hazell ringing early afternoon with the amazing sighting of 7 Black-necked Grebe off the inlet. This must be a record count for draycote if not for Warwickshire and certainly beats my previous best effort of 3 in May 2001. More good news from John Judge ringing me that a Avocet was out in the centre of reservoir – turning out to be a purple patch day. Not to be out done by this finding lark I managed my first Draycote Willow Warbler of the year and my first Yellow Wagtail of the year early evening. And I missed Red Kite and Osprey.
Of interest the Red-necked Grebe has been present for five months – another draycote record, arrived looking like this

Red-necked Grebe by Steve Seal taken last November and will eventually go to the ball in all its finery

Red-necked Grebe by Jon Hall

Richard

No comments: