Wednesday 10 June 2009

June 10th 2009

Two nights of mothing at Draycote Water and Oversely Wood nr Alcester has not given me much time for blogging so before disappearing again, thought I better bring the diary up to date. Very little bird news now we are well in to June but the late movement of waders and terns in the midlands brought a Black Tern to the pond on the evening of the 8th while setting up and a Greenshank calling in the middle of the night. Oversely was a more productive with local species such as Sparrowhawk, Jay, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Buzzard, Raven, Great-spotted Woodpecker and Spotted Flycatcher.
On the mothing side I managed only 103 moths of 36 species adding Shears to my pond list while last night Oversley was more productive trapping 81 species of 288 moths added four to my Warwickshire list including the longed for Red-necked Footman. Hopefully a day of valley and pond bashing tomorrow if the promised sunshine appears will give me a chance to play catch up on the birding front.
Steve Seal sent me one of his stonking images of Eyed Hawk-moth showing its ‘eyes’ after reading about my poor efforts in persuasion.


Richard

No comments: