Monday 29 June 2009

June 29th 2009

It was another good night for garden moths with my first Leopard Moth of the year and a very bright green July Highflyer along with good numbers of the more regular species.


With a butterfly trip arranged this afternoon I wanted to do a quick check on the pond so at 5:30am I was enjoying a Little Ringed Plover in toft bay. Only other bird of note was a Yellow-legged Gull with 40 Lesser Black-backed Gull and 20 Black-headed Gull and 2 joggers. Blimey I thought I was the only fool – must be breeding.
Mid-morning and my garden produced a very brief visit from a Hummingbird Hawk-moth – my second record for the garden of this immigrant.
Despite being extremely warm this afternoon I visited Combrook and Oversley in the south of the county enjoying many species, a pint of a rather nice ale and a few birds.
Some of the highlights were:-
Moths
Mother of Pearl, Dun-bar, Shaded Broad-bar, Straw Dot, Silver Y, Chimney Sweeper, Yellow Shell and many micros to be identify
Butterflies
Small Skipper, White-letter Hairstreak, Dark Green Fritillary, Silver-washed Fritillary, White Admiral, Painted Lady
Dragonflies
Azure, Common Blue, Red-eyed, Large Red and Blue-tailed Damselfly and Emperor Dragonfly, Broad-bodied Chaser and my first for the year Southern Hawker
Birds
Red Kite south of Stratford on Avon near Red Hill, Raven, Lesser Whitethroat, Nuthatch, Buzzard, Great-spotted Woodpecker and Hobby.
Animals
Muntjac, Hare, Stoat, Rabbit and Squirrel while last night my garden had 2 Hedgehog

Richard

No comments: