Thursday 16 July 2009

July 16th 2009

Out early enjoying the pond and the valley before the weather is due to take a turn for the worse as a low weather front approaches from the south east which will certainly knock the moths and butterflies on the head for a few days as the temperatures drop. Draycote Water had Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat and Grey Wagtail in toft shallows, 2 Little Ringed Plover in toft bay and the Goosander remained off the inlet with 4 Common Sandpiper nearby. Nothing else of note (so I thought) so took a look at the area that’s under construction next to the Kites Hardwick Golf Academy near the entrance to Draycote and stupidly flushed a Green Sandpiper as I popped me head over the bund a bit too quickly.
Moved on to the Hill Road where there were plenty of Yellowhammers and a field near Grandborough village held 6 Lapwing. A walk out to the fishing lagoon produced Willow Tit, Garden Warbler, Wren and Blackcap while the return trip produced Buzzard and my first returning Raven. Little else of note till the butterflies started showing but despite my best efforts I failed to find any Essex Skipper’s so had to make do with Small Skipper, Red Admiral, Marbled White, Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Large White and Green-veined White.
Kevin’s phone call notified me on what I missed at the pond as he reported seeing Turnstone and 3 Dunlin plus the Cape Shelduck.

Richard

No comments: