Tuesday 28 July 2009

July 28th 2009

I’ve been away for my annual ride in the tube of doom so arrived home this afternoon finding the garden a hive of activity with 6 Painted Ladies, Holly Blue, 4 Peacock, and 6 Large White. Also of interest were 8 White-tailed Bumble-Bees, 2 Red-tailed Bumble-bee and a single Common carder Bumble-bee. I was desperate for some fresh air so wandered over to Cock Robin and despite the blustery conditions more butterflies seen with Peacock, Red Admiral, 3 Painted lady, 3 Large White and 4 Speckled Wood as well as Southern Hawker and Common Blue Damselfly. Back home and early evening I had overhead 50 Swift 20 House Martin and 5 Swallow.
Had considered spending the evening at the pond but rain was on its way so gave it a miss especially as very little has changed since my last visit and the forecast is predicting a deluge mid-morning tomorrow. Meanwhile here's three photos I've been sent

Hummingbird Hawk-moth by Pa Phillips taken in 2006 but there are a few around at the moment so keep your eyes peeled.

Old Lady by Micheal Brewer found in his conservatory over the weekend. Just starting to emerge so I hope I get one soon. Mind you the way the weather is - any moth will do.

Dusky Sallow by John Judge taken a week last Saturday on the cafe wall at the pond

Richard

No comments: