Thursday 31 July 2008

July 31st 2008

It was a good birding day at Draycote Water today. The weather (humid and occasional heavy rain showers) brought in a immature Marsh Harrier over farnborough spit heading south, Green Sandpiper in toft bay, 14 Common Sandpiper dotted around the reservoir including a group of ten, and 5 Black Terns in biggen bay. Earlier I had had a Turtle Dove in toft shallows and other sightings from a long visit were Shoveler 6, Pochard 2, Gadwall 3, Common Tern 6, Hobby, Grey Wagtail, Green Woodpecker 7, Yellow-legged Gull adult and a juvenile male Wheatear.
Met Francoise for coffee and a Small Copper landed on the guard rail next to us then a search of the cafes outside walls produced many moths no doubt attracted by last nights humid weather including Dusky Sallow 2, Buff Footman, Dingy Footman, Riband Wave 2 and a Red twin-spot Carpet and earlier I found 5 Vapourers on farnborough bank. Back in toft the Green Sandpiper had moved to grey’s barn and a Red Underwing moth flew in front of me.
John Judge rang to inform me of a female Red-crested Pochard in rainbow so dashed back and then one of my farming friends in the valley reported a Marsh Harrier so checked that out for him and it was the same bird I had seen earlier at Draycote Water hunting a set-aside field where it caught something and flew off east.
Remember the Least Carpet and Bordered Pug which I spoke about in an earlier blog but had no decent photos to show you – well Steve Seal had both species in his Nuneaton, Warwickshire garden trap last night.

Bordered Pug

Least Carpet

Peppered Moth one of my better photos trapped this week in my garden.
Finally my garden has been attactive to butterflys late afternoon with Holly Blue, Comma and Small Copper

Richard

No comments: