Tuesday 16 September 2008

September 16th 2008

Draycote was quiet this morning - easterly winds but too much cloud cover for any visible migration. Shelduck first year in toft was a new arrival and yesterdays 2 first winter Little Gulls off biggen bay otherwise it was the usual delinquents - Common Scoter female in toft, Shag 2 on boats in front of cafe, Yellow Wagtail 10 on farborough bank, Hobby over, Chiffchaff 5 and Common Sandpiper. Long chat with Bob and Francoise and finally managed to meet up with Mark Philips after communicating by e-mail for ages. He spotted the Hobby while I was thinking whats he looking at Helicopters for. Spent some time in country park but still no migrants.
After eight hours I gave up and went home and bugger me - there was a migrant in the form of a immature male Redstart in my garden - first one I have ever had in garden and it spent five minutes feeding before disappearing only to appear for thirty seconds an hour later.


Not the best of shot but did not have time to play about with me knobs.
If this has managed to get past the coast and cloud cover then tomorrow could be interesting - high ground and a heads up day I think.

Richard

No comments: