Friday 5 September 2008

September 5th 2008

Heavy rain all day, easing at 4pm only to start up again. Arrived at Draycote early afternoon and struggled to see anything in the downpour so spent half an hour sheltering in hide and managed a Reed Warbler in the willows. A Chat to Lee who put me on to the Wheatear and Yellow Wagtail on farborough bank but failed to see the Common Tern, Yellow-legged Gull or Shag 3 John Judge had before my arrival. Really gave the place a bashing hoping for Grey Phalarope or Sabines Gull but no luck though some of the more sheltered areas had numerous calling Chiffchaff and then my luck changed with immature Siskin near the valve tower and Hobby hunting the many Swallows and House Martins. I stuck the weather out and was rewarded with a large group of Black Terns arriving at 17:35pm. Counted 59 and while watching these I picked up Common Sandpiper, Sand Martin 30+ and Spotted Flycatcher by the bench on lin croft point. Arrived home at 7pm and was just getting me gear off when a Sparrowhawk caught a Hedge Sparrow and sat on my fence and I watched mesmerised as it plucked and eat it. Only after 10 minutes when it flew off did I think of me camera - dumb bugger.

Richard

No comments: