Saturday 6 September 2008

September 6th 2008

Another day in paradise?, you guessed it - rained again. I had already been at Draycote Water since 7am when news of the Common Scoter male found by Mike Doughty-Lee broke and as I made my way to see it a Little Tern adult arrived from the south east following the same flight path that saw the arrival of 8 Common Terns earlier, over cafe towards rainbow corner. By the time I arrived in rainbow corner I could not see any 'white' terns at first but there were at least 5 Black Terns then managed a couple of Common Terns.
Hung around this area till 10am finding Goosander 5, Shoveler 9, Artic Tern 4 going south high, Golden Plover heading west 0955am and at least 6 Common Tern out in centre. Earlier I had a Whimbrel go over calling, 10 Yellow Wagtails, Wheatear and Shags 4 on fishing platforms / training boats. On my way home at mid-day I saw what I thought was a rufus tinged warbler dive in to the willow scrub left of hide but as I only saw it for a nano second will have to be the one that got away. After dinner the rain relented for a few hours so it was a bash the high ground session for me on Bush Hill, Flecknoe and Napton on the Hill but for all that effort (16 miles on top of the nine already done) not a sniff of a migrant. I swear I'm shrinking in this deluge and "Billy" tomorrow night will be a welcome break.

Richard

No comments: