Tuesday 2 September 2008

September 2nd 2008

Arrived early at pond hoping that some of last nights waders may have stayed and was pleased to find a flock of 9 Turnstone on toft bank. This is my second highest flock I have ever recorded here and only two short of the eleven that were present on 16th August 1987. Another good sighting was the immature or female Redstart feeding along the boundary hedge below farborough bank heading for the bridal path.
A full circuit and a walk to inlet produced single Black Tern, Shag 2 on fishing platforms, single Goosander between valve tower and inlet, Green Woodpecker 8, Shoveler 12, Wheatear farborough bank, 3 Grey & Yellow Wagtails and a Great-spotted woodpecker. Also of interest were a Kingfisher in toft shallows, a group of 26 Long-tailed Tits and a lone Swift amongst the 50+ Swallows and Sand Martins. Met up with Pete & Linda Price and a walk home chatting to Francoise (she had Shelduck yesterday and 3 Gooosander today) before I remembered I could have ridden. Still another millimeter off my waistline - I wish.

Richard

No comments: