Monday 27 October 2008

October 27th 2008

If yesterday was the worse birding day of the year putting me in a right old mood then today in comparison has been absolutely magical leaving me with a grin as wide as Jo Brand’s derrie air. The day had started on the downside with my first nil return since April from my moth trap due to the clear skies and drop in temperature but if this counted against the moths then the birds gained by enjoying a day of no rain and wintry sunshine.
Went out after dinner to Lawford Heath checking the two finch flocks that depending on food availability could become residential this winter. The first near the Coal Pit / Lawford Lane junction is a mixed flock of Chaffinches and Greenfinches of about 150 birds with 10 Redwing and 4 Mistle Thrushes while the Rookery Farm site has at least 200 Chaffinches, adult and immature Brambling plus 3 Tree Sparrows, Corn Bunting, Meadow Pipits 5 and Collared Doves 78 with nearby Little Owl, Raven and Buzzard.
Decided to give Draycote Water a miss and concentrated time and effort on the valley and hit the jackpot by the double barns along the Flecknoe Road with a half hidden roosting Long-eared Owl in the far hedgerow being mobbed by Magpies and finches and while enjoying this a white-winged bird flew past and after some searching found it to be a immature / female Snow Bunting that attached itself to a small Linnet flock.
As I passed the next house on the right a Hen Harrier flew over lazily heading north. Full adult male looking resplendent as it went past yards away from me and I watched it flying over the country park at Draycote Water so hopefully someone else was sharing my good fortune. Other birds seen were Stock Dove 46, Tree Sparrow 2, Fieldfare 30, Sparrowhawk, Raven 2 and Buzzard 2 and further down the road the Stonechat was at Grandborough Fields Farm along with a brief glimpse of a distant Barn Owl.
Clocks have gone back now so a dodgy bike road home in the dark along the A45 with high speed traffic but at least I can be seen in my new fluorescent jacket - look like a fairy but if it save me from crushed nuts who cares.

Richard

No comments: