Monday 6 October 2008

October 6th 2008

After yesterday’s drenching decided to stay in, big mistake as I woke to blue skies and my mood did not improved when news of a red-necked phalarope at the pond yesterday was announced this morning. Apart from some goddess you have never heard of the only other bird I have always wanted to see on my patch is a RNP. This would have been a draycote’s tick for me so slightly disappointed when it was relocated and re-identified as a Grey Phalarope. Still a year tick as I had dipped on the previous one.
Arrived as soon as I could and it was just off the valve tower feeding in its usual manner of spinning – makes you dizzy just watching it and very active with occasional short flights. Still present late afternoon but attracting the attention of the gull roost. This is my 8th record at draycote. Nearby the Common Scoter male showed well and in my haste to get from one side of ressy to the other I passed the 2 Little Gulls, 2 Shag and the Goosanders. Surprisingly there are four again so not sure where three of them have been for the last few days. Other sightings included Raven 2, Common Sandpiper, 60+ Meadow Pipit, Wheatear and Redwing 4 going over. Many thanks to all those who kept me informed of the Grey Phals where a bouts till I got there and to Dave Hutton for sending me these photos.


Grey Phalarope by Dave Hutton - Looks as if the bird may be blind in left eye.
Bob Hazell found a November Moth agg on the wall of cafe. Agg behind the name means it can’t be safely identified from similar looking species November Moth, Pale November Moth and Autumnal Moth with out genitalia examination but I am not in to cutting moth bits up.

Richard

No comments: