Friday 18 April 2008

April 18th 2008


Black-necked Grebe by Steve Seal

Black-necked Grebes by Steve Seal

Out before dawn to Draycote Water with Tawny Owl seen on the way flying across road near Lion Farm, Rugby Road, Dunchurch. On arrival at Draycote the Franklins Gull (now correctly aged as a 2nd summer bird) was located at dawn and seen to leave the roost at 0600hrs returning at 1920hrs where 28 members of its fan club were waiting. In what turned out to be a cracking day I found two summer plumage Black-necked Grebes in toft bay by the 2nd car park and it was then I discovered I had mobile problems so thanks to Francoise for letting me use useing her mobile and getting the news out and while waiting for Steve Seal an Osprey came in 1300hrs from the south east and caught a fish at its first attempt and flew off west. Dinner with Steve joined by Kevin Grewcock then back into toft bay where there were over 40 Yellow Wagtails. Also seen were Great-spotted & Green Woodpecker, Teal 4, Linnets 12, Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat, two Little Gulls till mid-day, Common Sandpiper and Buzzard. Interestingly their were 100 Sand Martins at 0800, 300 mid-day and well over 1000 by mid-afternoon with 50 Swallow and 10 House Martin though apparently they had increased by early evening. Many thanks to those who ensured every body got on to the gull - it was not easy at that distance in choppy waters and to those who gave me lifts to valve tower and back to me bike - very grateful as the east wind was a nightmare going home so you saved me little legs. POND FACTS - BNG is my 35th record involving 44 birds and the Osprey was my 36th record involving 40 birds. Blimey 15hrs in the field - I want union rights.

Yellow Wagatil by Steve seal

Richard

No comments: