Saturday 10 October 2009

October 10th 2009

Yesterdays Twite/Linnet episode has been learning curve for all those present and Bob Duckhouse’s photo and further investigation on calls confirmed they were Twite. So what was the problem, well despite my first instincts, jizz, plumage and small yellow bill I couldn’t shift me brain from thinking they had to be juvenile Linnet because that’s what they sounded like. Even those who thought they heard a typical Twite call over ruled their heads when they called again and sounded like Linnets. In the evening I checked a number of source’s but that only fogged the issue as some books show first winter Linnet with a grey bill and not juv plumage and few mention the variety of calls. Moral of this story is stick to your instincts. I’m wearing a hair shirt for the rest of the year as punishment. The last one I saw here was in 2001.
Once the low cloud shifted early morning there was a small passage of birds over the garden with 13 Skylark, House Martin, 52 Starling in 3 groups, Siskin and 12 Redwing seen in an hour all heading in to a light south westerly.
Mark and Mason took me to the pond this afternoon and though it was not the best time to go it was their first opportunity to see the Lesser Scaup and we were treated to reasonable views as it rested and preened among the 600 Tufted Duck. There were very few birds along the dam walls due to a constant stream of walkers and the reservoir was full of fishermen and sailors so little else seen. Vapourer Moth on farborough bank.

On the mothing front I trapped a worn migrant Dark Sword Grass last night and this evening I spent a couple of hours sugaring but attracted zilch.

Richard

No comments: