Tuesday 20 October 2009

October 20th 2009

A day full of potential with low cloud, drizzle and a fresh south easterly wind but in reality it was hard work with Draycote Water having a late Swallow heading south over toft bay and a winter plumage Sanderling crossing the reservoir the only decent returns from 5 hours of searching. Only others birds of note were 4 Snipe in toft bay, Great-spotted Woodpecker, 10 Redwing and I failed to locate the Lesser Scaup amongst the scattered tufted duck flocks. On the wall of the visitors centre there was a Sprawler, November Moth agg and Spruce Carpet.
Napton on the Hill was just as tough till eventually 3 Brambling showed themselves on the grounds of the old works below the quarry and there were 2 Willow Tit, 4 Coal Tit and Great-spotted Woodpecker in and around the churchyard.

Richard

1 comment:

ShySongbird said...

Hi Richard, thank you for your kind words on the earlier post. I haven't been for well over a week as I twisted my ankle the last time I was there but hope to go again soon and perhaps see the Lesser Scaup which has so far eluded me!