Saturday 17 October 2009

October 17th 2009

Draycote Water was hard work this morning. Overnight arrivals of 9 Shelduck with 2 still present till the sailing started and 8 Shoveler. The Tufted Duck flock was way down in numbers and scattered around the reservoir because of so much activity and I was in the right place at the right time when a small flock of Tufted landed off lin croft point and contained the Lesser Scaup and a pair of Red-crested Pochard before they got kicked off again. Only 5 Pochard seen, female Goldeneye and Snipe in toft bay. A 3hr session from the country park produced 516 Starling, 58 Skylark, 84 Redwing, 9 Fieldfare plus 2 flocks of Golden Plover (14 & 6) all going west. Also 6 Raven, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk and Peregrine noted while sky watching.

2 Comma seen

Richard

2 comments:

ShySongbird said...

Hi Richard,

I just wanted to say I suspect I am nowhere near as experienced as you bird-wise but have always had a deep love of birds and Nature in general and only recently discovered Draycote Water although it is not far from us. What a place it is! I was captivated when we first went even though the weather was abysmal! We (my husband and myself) have been several times since and will go regularly now, I love it and can see why you obviously do also.

Richard Mays said...

Hi ShySongbird,
Great name

Anyway I can help you to enjoy it more feel free to contact me. Experience - we all have to start somewhere - the key is to ensure your improving then the enjoyment gets even better.

Richard